|Make a doll's wardrobe by up-cycling some cardboard packaging|
Coat-hangers often come with doll's clothing, but what are you supposed to do with them? Make a doll's wardrobe of course! In this post I'll take you through a project I worked on with my daughter to make a wardrobe for her Barbie's clothes. You can make one to suit any doll, you just need to choose a box that is the appropriate size for the coat-hangers and clothes.
What you will need:
- Cardboard boxes
- Wooden skewer
- Hot glue gun (adult use only)
- Washable paint
- Gemstone stickers (or similar to make handles)
- Washable PVA Glue
- Masking tape
- Newspaper to protect surfaces
- Keep an eye on the cardboard boxes coming into your home for one that would be suitable for a doll's wardrobe. You might be lucky and find something with flaps that can be used for the doors or you may have to attach doors yourself. Ideally you don't want to be taping a hinge on as this doesn't make for a sturdy join. Instead, look for something with a fold in it that you glue to the side of the cupboard as in the photos. Remember that you can always cut cardboard to size too.
- If you need to cut the cardboard to suit, do that now. Glue pieces together if required. Use masking tape to hold the cardboard pieces in place while they dry. Washable PVA glue is great to use as little kids can get involved in this step. Allow the doll's wardrobe to dry
- Paint and decorate the doll's wardrobe any way you like. Gemstone stickers are particularly suitable for decorating a Barbie wardrobe. Allow the doll's wardrobe to dry.
|When the glue is dry, it is time to paint your doll's wardrobe|
|A painted doll's wardrobe, ready for the rail and door knobs|
- The next step is to add the rail to the doll's wardrobe. Hold a wooden skewer up to the wardrobe to measure how much you will need. Trim the wooden skewer and trim off small amounts until the rail fits perfectly.
|Hold the skewer up to the doll's wardrobe to work out where to cut it. If needed, keep trimming small pieces off the skewer until it fits like a glove.|
- Test the position of the rail before you glue it in place. Make sure the wardrobe door closes and the clothes hang properly. Mark the position of the rail.
|Test the placement of the rail before gluing it into the doll's wardrobe|
- (Adult step) secure the rail in position with generous dollops of hot glue
|Time for adults to use the hot glue gun to secure the rail in place|
- (Adult step) add gemstone handles with hot glue. Allow glue to dry.
- Hang up Barbie's clothes in her brand new wardrobe!
|When the glue is dry, hang up Barbie's clothes in her new wardrobe!|