|Homemade Paper Mache Glue|
My 2 yo has been super excited every time she sees paper mache so today we decided to try it. But with only a glue stick in the house, I had to make up some glue for the project. There are various recipes on the web but here is the one I used.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of salt to preserve
- Sift flour to help remove lumps
- Add water and stir until smooth
- Add salt and stir
- Thin with water if desired
I just loved this glue! We made a mess but because it is just flour and water it is REALLY easy to clean up. The glue on my 2 yo's clothes dried up and flaked off. And glue spilt on the table cleaned up with water and a cloth. As parents we are always time poor and the idea of making anything that we can buy fairly cheaply from the shops seems like a time consuming hassle. But this is one thing that is really worth it for little kids.
This glue won't be suitable for all projects but here is why you should consider it.
- It is non-toxic and made from cooking ingredients which is good if your kids like to put their fingers in their mouths or taste it.
- Your kids can help make it.
- It is super cheap to make.
- You probably have the ingredients in your kitchen cupboard right now.
- It is very quick to whip up and don't need to be made in advance of your project.
- It is very easy to make.
- It is very easy to clean up - its water soluble.